View all 1211 Jobs
Job vacancy Senior Economic Regulation Specialist (Fuels and Gas)
View all 1211 Jobs
Senior Economic Regulation Specialist (Fuels and Gas)
The Malawi Energy Regulatory Authority (MERA), the Energy Sector Regulator in Malawi, was established under the Energy Regulation Act No 20 of 2004 with the mandate to regulate the energy sector in Malawi for sustainable socio-economic development for the benefit of the Malawi Economy. The MERA’s vision is to be a World Class Energy Regulator.
In order to support the fulfilment of the aforementioned mandate and vision effectively and efficiently an excellent and rare opportunity has arisen to engage qualified persons of Malawian origin to fill positions in the professional cadre of the Secretariat (Grade M4) tenable at its Head Office in Lilongwe.
This is a highly demanding position that require a person who has demonstrable capacity geared at making MERA a vibrant and competitive institution with utmost responsiveness to its stakeholders.
The following are the required personnel and work-related traits of the position:
Post : Senior Economic Regulation Specialist (Fuels and Gas)
Grade : M4
Reporting to : Director of Economic Regulation.
Responsible for : Economic Regulation Specialist (Fuels & Gas)
Purpose of the Job
To ensure development and maintenance of a favourable business environment for the energy sector conducive for an open and fair competition among operators and consumers, and also to provide energy financial and economic regulatory guidelines and advice to the Authority and the stake holders.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Formulating, implementing and monitoring short-term and long-term economic strategies for energy regulation.
- Reviewing and analysing tariff proposals.
- Developing, implementing and maintaining licensing criteria / guidelines on economic aspects.
- Undertaking economic evaluation in respect of licence applications and monitoring compliance.
- Facilitating smooth entry of potential investors, eliminating monopolistic tendencies in the sector and promoting open and fair competition for investors to operate profitably without compromising on quality of services.
- Developing and implementing economic monitoring mechanisms to ensure that all players in the sector comply with standards set by the Authority.
- Liaising with Government of Malawi and other stakeholders and representing the Authority on economic matters relating to the energy regulation.
- Allocating and supervising the work of the Economic Regulation Specialist (Fuels & Gas).
- Conducting economic regulatory audits, investigations and surveys in the energy sector and recommending appropriate actions to the Director.
- Monitoring and evaluating the economic efficiency and performance of energy operators in respect of agreed key performance indicators.
- Collecting and analysing data on economic indices, consumer statistics and associated demand profiles for consumers’ information.
- Recommending appropriate incentives for efficiency and improvements in the provision of services by licensees.
- Representing the Authority at meetings.
Minimum Education Qualification and Experience
- The minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, and Masters’ Degree in Economics or Business Administration.
- Must have four (4) years post qualification relevant work experience.
- Must be a member of the Economic Association of Malawi.
COMPETENCIES AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
The ideal candidate for the position must:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Energy Sector.
- Have excellent Oral and written Communication skills.
- Be a team player with high level of integrity and leadership skills.
- Must demonstrate ability to analyse economic trends.
- Be decisive, self-motivated and assertive.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
MERA shall offer an attractive employee benefits package to successful candidates in accordance with its emolument structure (commensurate with qualifications and experience) which includes salary, medical insurance, and membership to contributory Medical Scheme.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Candidates should submit their applications with:
- An updated Curriculum Vitae.
- Names and contacts of three traceable referees, one of them should have been a first or second level supervisor of the applicant within the last 3 years.
- Copies of their Academic and Professional Qualifications.
Please quote the job title being applied for on the envelop. The application should be sent to the address below:
The Acting Chief Executive Officer
Malawi Energy Regulatory Authority (MERA)
Second Floor, Development House
Private Bag B- 496,
To reach the Chief Executive Officer not later than Friday, 7th May, 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
MERA is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply
Apply for this Job
More Job Vacancies
See all jobs